Exterior Brick Beam is an unusual detail because the weight of the material often causes another choice to be made. The key issue is to limit the deflection of the beam to prevent cracking in the stiff masonry. Another consideration is to prevent water from attacking the interior structural elements for durability and safety.
This detail is used in a non-load-bearing situation, but it could just as easily be load-bearing. A similarly detailed beam could also be used in the interior of a building.
The key features of the detail are the:
B2010-F - Brick Beam
- This detail is needed to specify the configuration, construction and materials required for the masonry exterior beam.
- This detail requires further details and specifications covering these conditions.
- Building Codes have an impact on aspects of the work shown here.
- You may want a specification covering the quality and installation aspects of these materials.
- These details should be placed on the Exterior Details sheet, the A-500 series of sheets per the National CAD Standards, contrary to the designation shown here.
- A PDF of the detail can be downloaded.