Roof Access is critical in commercial buildings especially if there is mechanical equipment located on the roof (flat roof). The traditional 30"x36" roof hatch and vertical ladder are inadequate. Maintenance of both the roof and the equipment located there require easy and safe access for inspection and bringing tools and filters onto the roof. The taller the building the more necessary this roof access becomes.
A Ship's Ladder and Roof Hatch are the least expensive way to meet this need for maintenance access.
Very High Ladders require require special consideration of OSHA regulations. A cage around the ladder may be required if the rise is more than 20'.
- This detail is needed to specify the configuration, construction and materials required for the roof access components.
- This detail requires further information covering these conditions.
- Building Codes have an impact on aspects of the work shown here.
- You may want a specification covering the quality and installation aspects of these materials. The notes have specification reference numbers included to help make that connection.
- These details should be placed on the Stair Details sheet, the A-402 or AE-402 series of sheets per the National CAD Standards, contrary to the designation shown here.
- Download PDF of detail.
orig post date 4/22/2013