Exterior Masonry Cavity Walls consist of a weather-resistant exterior wythe of brick or stone or similar material and an inner wythe of concrete block. The cavity aids in preventing water penetration by draining any water out the base of the wall.
Masonry backup of concrete block offers the advantage of being a load bearing structure, although it can be non-load bearing. The cavity can accommodate significant insulation with masonry mass on the interior.
The key features of the detail are the:
- This detail is needed to specify the configuration, construction and materials required for the masonry cavity wall.
- This detail requires further details and specifications covering these conditions.
- Building Codes have an impact on aspects of the work shown here.
- You may want a specification covering the quality and installation aspects of these materials. The notes have specification reference numbers included to help make that connection.
- These details should be placed on the Exterior Details sheet, the A501 or AE501 series of sheets per the National CAD Standards, contrary to the designation shown here.
- Download PDF of detail.
orig post date FEB 2013