The Raised Counter Detail provides a counter integrated with a raised floor so that the clerk can be seated while the patron is standing . Without a platform, the patron looms over the clerk. Eye contact between clerk and patron is normal. An alternative solution is a tall counter at which the clerk sits on a stool. It is preferable for the patron to remain standing to keep the transaction from taking longer than needed.
See 'Comments' for ADA considerations.
- Make sure the materials are permitted in your Construction Type and Use Group.
- This detail is needed to clarify the configuration, construction and materials required for the counter.
- This detail should be placed on the detail sheets, the A500 or AE500 series of sheets per the National CAD Standards.
- ADA requires a low counter to accommodate wheelchairs, so the raised counter cannot be used exclusively.
- ADA also requires this counter to be accessible to employees, which will require a ramp to the raised floor or platform.
Download PDF of detail.
orig post date Jan'13