I know. Almost a hundred bucks to solve a problem I may never have. How does that make sense?
Well, I am convinced that it is just a matter of time until we all get hacked. Current wisdom is that you need individual passwords for each use, and those passwords need to be letters, numbers and symbols that don't appear anywhere. Otherwise the hacker can turn his computer on the problem and it will discover the match within minutes or hours.
I began doing this. The problem, of course, is that you have no chance of remembering 10 of these passwords, much less 150. So you need a place to store them on your phone so you always have them with you. I can't find a method that can't be hacked. 1Password provides that storage place behind a password and encryption, but so do others. The features that make it my choice are:
- Logins - save URL, user name, password
- Identity - store all your name, address stuff for auto fill-in
- Credit Card fill in - get ready to purchase, select card, done
- Strong Password Generator - customizable (see screenshot)
- Integrated browser - use the browser and many operations start and end right in 1Password
- Vault - save info for: Bank Account, Credit Cards, Database, Driver's License, Email Accounts, Identity, Login, Membership, Outdoor License, Passport, Reward Programs, Secure Notes, Server, Social Security Number, Software License, Wireless Router
- Favorites - tag your most used passwords for fewer clicks
- Folders - organize your passwords in whatever groups, or sub-groups, that make sense to you
So here's the plan.
- Look up each stored password.
- Go to the App or Website.
- Store everything except the password.
- Change the password to one generated by 1Password.
- Develop the habit of using 1Password first.
If I do 2.5 passwords a day on average, in a mere two months I'm done!
Hmmmm, I guess I need to do 10 per day...
1Password is available for Android and Windows, too, so everyone can jump on board.
BTW I first heard of 1Password when I noticed it was on the the home screens of quite a few folks at 37signals. I'm a real fan-boy of 37signals, so I looked it up.
There's an update to be found here...